Experience Less Than 1 Year
Are you compassionate about animals and have a desire to speak for those who cannot? For over 110 years, the Dumb Friends League has been working to end pet homelessness and animal suffering by providing a strong and steadfast voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. If you work well with people too, join our team and help us provide that voice.
Purpose of Position: Provide assistance to patrons relinquishing animals to the League.
- Deliver high-level customer service to the League’s patrons.
- Provide daily animal relinquishment, stray, and evaluation services.
- Provide end-of-life care for animals at their owner’s request.
- Interview patrons to gather information to create animal records in Chameleon database.
- Manage emotionally difficult situations with strong communication skills.
- Provide information about League resources and programs.
- Prepare and reconcile statements of daily financial transactions.
- Safely handle, restrain, and move animals. This includes coordination and movement to address contagion concerns.
- Perform basic behavior and health evaluation to determine path of animal.
- Administer vaccinations and preventative medications.
- Communicate with other departments to coordinate and assist with care of shelter animals.
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
- Clean and sanitize evaluation and intake areas.
- Perform euthanasia and related tasks.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions. Additional definitions for competencies may be obtained from Human Resources
Organizational Key Competencies
- Integrity and Ethics
- Adapting to Change and Ambiguity
- Customer and Community Focus
- Emotional Intelligence
Position Key Competencies
- Analytical Thinking & strategic thinking
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility
Full Time Benefits – Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
- Benefits (medical, dental, and vision)
- Flexible spending accounts
- League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Holiday Pay
- And more!
Compensation: Starting at $20.00-$20.90 per hour +$1 per hour language differential (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
Shift Details: 4, 10-hour shifts, with weekend availability required
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Handle and restrain animals of various sizes, weights, and temperaments. Subject to animal bites or scratches. Work performed in high noise level areas. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander and bodily fluids. Physical efforts require constant bending, stooping, standing, climbing stairs, and walking. Frequent lifting of animals and objects with reasonable accommodation.
- Ability to accomplish multiple tasks and maintain flexibility in a dynamic work environment
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Bilingual, speaking both English and Spanish
- Professional experience in animal welfare/working with animals
- Knowledge of veterinary care/animal health
- Training in social work/communications
- Experience providing high level service to customers
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to work in a fast-paced environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Experience working with Chameleon database