Assists the Animal Shelter Veterinarian in performing a high volume of spay/neuter and other surgeries on domestic animals at the Adams County Animal Shelter. This position is responsible for patron education. Under direction of the Shelter Veterinarian, this person manages the care of sick and injured animals within the Shelter, performs dental cleanings, administers medications, vaccinations, and medical treatments. Assists in keeping accurate medical records in animal Shelter software database.
- Preps animals for anesthesia and surgical procedures.
- Assists Shelter Veterinarian in performing physical examinations of Shelter pets.
- Accurately records exam findings and treatment plans into shelter database.
- Ensures that treatment plans are communicated to animal care staff and are carried out appropriately.
- Keeps accurate records of follow up examinations.
- Acts as a liaison between the Shelter Veterinarian and the public, accurately conveys medical history and Veterinarian’s exam findings to the public.
- Under direction from the Shelter Veterinarian and Shelter Director, prepares medical disclosures for adoptable animals.
- Perform daily rounds of sick and injured animals, make appropriate notes on progress, and schedule Vet Checks on animals of concern.
- Provide excellent patient care.
- Administer injections, vaccinations, medications, treatments, and supportive care as indicated by Standard Operating procedures and Shelter Veterinarian.
- Intubate patients, monitor anesthesia, perform venipuncture, place intravenous catheters, and administer fluids as necessary.
- Prepare and sterilize surgical packs.
- Utilize proper animal handling techniques.
- Maintain a safe, secure, and healthy environment by sanitizing and disinfecting holding and surgical areas.
- Monitor supplies, places orders, and verifies receipt of supplies.
- Maintain controlled drug inventories and keeps usage logs up to date and in accordance with DEA requirements.
- Perform humane euthanasia.
- Able to work well both independently and as a part of a team.
- Perform full range of Animal Care Technician duties as required.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.