Experience Less Than 1 Year
Practice Small Animal
Veterinary Receptionists are the “face” of the hospital. They are the first contact with the client and the last. This position plays a key role in representing the hospital, overall production, and client flow of service on a daily basis. They are a critical liaison between the client and the medical team.
Basic Requirements for this Position (abilities)
- Provide exceptional quality client service
- Show that you love your job!
- Effectively communicate with clients
- Maintain a strong and positive presence
- Keep composure and the ability to keep a client calm under stressful circumstances
- Safely lift objects or pets of at least 40 pounds
- Work with or without direct supervision
- Recognize certain behaviors in pets
- Recognize emergencies and be able to help and manage initial triage
- Effectively work with other staff members
- Strong and effective communication skills
- Adapt to different needs and preferences of different doctors
- Work with computers and multi-line phones efficiently
- Spell alphabetize and perform basic mathematics
- Ask Questions when a task or procedure is unclear
- Legible handwriting/accurate message taking
- Excellent attention to detail
Veterinary receptionist job involves several key and very critical aspects that ensures the growth and success of our hospital, and to perform adequately and efficiently.
- Client interaction and service
- Medical record maintenance
- Hospital appearance and cleanliness
- Client Service Responsibilities:
answering multi-line phones, taking and passing messages to the appropriate staff member, answering questions (on phone/in person), client education, invoicing/checking out clients, taking payments (cash, credit card, checks),obtaining patient history, recognizing/preventing client confusion, preparing exam rooms for client and doctor, appropriate record keeping, prepping/pulling charts, making appointments, knowledge of Cornerstone software, calling owners with results, call owners to check on patients, call owners with updates, assisting/preparing for euthanasia, assisting clients with large purchases, assist clients with pets, provide information about all retail products, maintain compassion and professionalism during high-stress situations.
- Hospital Cleanliness Responsibilities:
vacuuming, mopping, changing garbage, dusting, stocking and cleaning reception, retail, parking, and entryway; cleaning up vomit/stool/urine/spills, equipment maintenance, replenishing supplies, maintaining exam room and reception stock, follow cleaning protocols, keep odors to a minimum, overall hospital maintenance (indoors and outdoors).
- Medical Record Maintenance: create new client/patient records, verify information correctly entered & transferred, update information, complete entries after any communication with client, accurately file/store records from previous vet clinics.
- Close/Open duties: prepare reception area for opening, have files ready for appointments, review patients/clients anticipated, check balance of money till, check in surgery/treatment clients, check Pet Portal requests, download & import lab results, check reception email & respond/forward to appropriate personnel. Perform end-of-day processing, settle/close credit transactions, create daily deposit, perform database backup, have files ready for morning, verify money till, prepare reception area for next morning.
The Ideal Candidate Must Have:
- At least 1 year recent experience in an animal related field with knowledge of basic preventive care and concept of triage
- Be able to stand, bend, lift up to 50 pounds throughout the day
- Be flexible with availability and be willing to help on Weekends
- Dependability and punctuality
- Have a love for animals and people
- Positive attitude, multitasking
- Excellent Time management
- Computer/knowledge of communication technology
- Excitement to grow and welcome change with it
- Ability to be self-starter, self-sufficient, and team player
- Effective communication and organization skills
We are always looking for ways to improve our benefit package! Here are some of the benefits we currently offer!
- Discounted Pet Care 50% in-house services after 90 days of uninterrupted full time employment
- Uniform allowance after 90 days plus annually
- CE allowance annually
- PTO/Vacation Accrued after 1 year of uninterrupted full time employment
- Accrued Sick Pay based on hours worked