Experience Less Than 1 Year
Are you compassionate about animals and have a desire to speak for those who cannot?
We are seeking a self-motivated individual to join our dedicated team of passionate animal welfare professionals. For over 100 years, the Dumb Friends League has been working to end pet homelessness and animal suffering by providing a strong and steadfast voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. As the largest community-based animal welfare organization in the region, we care for more than 20,000 homeless pets and horses each year at our four facilities and are a national model in animal welfare.
Working in partnership with teams across the League, you will help prevent and alleviate animal suffering. Apply to join our fantastic team of Veterinary Assistants now!
Purpose of Position: Support high volume spay/neuter and vaccine services for owned cats & dogs in a variety of tasks including but not limited to administrative duties, customer service and assisting the veterinary team.
- Provide excellent customer service during surgical check-in and discharge.
- Generate accurate medical records and invoices.
- Assist clients with scheduling and other inquiries.
- Assist technicians and veterinarians with pre-surgical preparation.
- Monitor patient recovery following surgery.
- Communicate with clients clearly and professionally regarding surgery and post-operative care.
- Administer medications as directed to cats & dogs presented for surgery.
- Clean, disinfect, and maintain surgical areas.
- Handle and move animals prior to and following surgical procedures, restraining animals as needed.
- Maintain medical equipment and supplies.
- Perform medical treatments and diagnostics at the direction of technicians and veterinarians.
- Operate League mobile unit vehicles, as assigned.
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
- Perform euthanasia related tasks including body care.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions. Additional definitions for competencies may be obtained from Human Resources.
Organizational Key Competencies – Integrity and ethics, adapting to change and ambiguity, customer and community focus, emotional intelligence, excellence.
Position Key Competencies – Analytical thinking, conflict management, customer service.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility – Volunteers
Travel – This position requires travel to different work sites
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Handle and restrain animals of various sizes, weights, and temperaments. Subject to animal bites or scratches. Work performed in high noise level areas. Exposure to cleaning chemicals, fumes, dust, animal dander, and feces. Exposure to radiation in association with performing radiology procedures. Physical efforts require constant bending, stooping, standing, climbing stairs, and walking. Repetitive motion associated with medical and surgical care. Frequent lifting of animals and objects up to 40 pounds with reasonable accommodation. Exposure to the elements while performing high volume clinics in priority neighborhoods for extended periods of times.
Shift Details: 40 hours per week, four 10-hour shift
Full Time Benefits include medical, dental, and vision, insurance, flexible spending accounts, League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO), holiday pay, 401(k) and more! Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
Compensation: Starting at $20.00 – $20.90 /hour (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs
- Ability to work in a team environment
- High attention to detail
- Ability to travel to multiple locations within target communities
- Education: High school diploma or equivalent
- Work Experience: Professional experience in animal welfare/ working with animals
- Special Training, Certification or Licensure: Valid driver’s license with insurable driving record
- Experience working in a veterinary clinic or similar environment
- Working knowledge of current veterinary practices
- Veterinary assistant certification
Other jobs you may like
Equine Hospital Inventory Manager
- @ Littleton Equine Medical Center
- Littleton, colorado
Experienced Veterinary Receptionist
- @ Belleview Animal Clinic
- Englewood, colorado
CVT/RVT at VCA Southeast Area Animal Hospital
- @ VCA Southeast Area
- Denver, colorado
- @ Coronado Veterinary Hospital
- Sierra Vista, arizona