Practice Large Animal
Qualifications Graduate (CVT, RVT, LVT)
This Veterinary Nurse I Intern (Limited Term) position provides an opportunity for professional growth in the Kansas State University Veterinary Health Center. An outstanding graduate veterinary nurse will be selected to obtain high quality, enhanced technical experience and training through employment in defined specialty areas. Objective of this position is to enhance employee marketability for private practice and/or assist with obtaining two years of post-graduate experience to qualify for future Veterinary Nurse II openings in the KSU-VHC.
Duties / Responsibilities: Purpose of the position: This Limited Term Veterinary Nurse I Intern position is established to provide training and experience to a graduate veterinary nurse by furnishing a work environment where the individual provides technical support for specialty areas in the KSU-VHC.
- Duties may include providing hands-on assistance in several specialty areas, such as anesthesiology, cardiology, dentistry, exotics, equine medicine, farm animal medicine, large animal surgery, ophthalmology, oncology, radiology, small animal ICU, small animal medicine or small animal surgery, as defined by the specialty area assignments for the internship period. 4th year veterinary students are given preference in performing technical skills. The nurse is expected to assist in regular, scheduled procedures required in the assigned section, to include assisting clinicians and students in handling and restraint of patients, preparing rooms and necessary equipment for procedures, assisting with patient preparation, maintenance and·cleaning of rooms and equipment and stock rotation
Perform other duties in the KSU-VHC as requested by supervisor, section head, Hospital Administrator, or Hospital Director by following procedures and protocol developed for the KSU-VHC. Performance will be reviewed by technical supervisor, Hospital Administrator and Hospital Director for results achieved. Examples of additional responsibilities may include:
- Perform minor maintenance and cleaning procedures on instrumentation and equipment.
- Become proficient with the Hospital Information System so that medical information may be easily entered from terminals in work areas.
- Be available to provide periodic stand-by coverage during some daytime, holiday and/or weekend periods.
Demonstrate behavior that is conducive to harmonious working relationships with peers, students, faculty and supervisors. Establish and maintain good work habits.
Required Minimum Qualifications:
- Completion of a two year college program in animal or veterinary technology accredited by the American Veterinary Medical Association
- Must be a registered paraprofessional under the authority of the Kansas Board of Veterinary Medical Examiners within six months of employment
- One year of experience in animal or veterinary technical support
- Ability to maintain and use ordinary veterinary medical hospital equipment
- Physically able to handle, restrain and provide medical services to domestic animals
- Working knowledge of operating room sterile technique procedures
- Knowledge of standard emergency veterinary medical procedures
- Ability to perform word processing and data entry on a personal computer
- Willing and able to master new techniques
- Demonstrated interest in a specific clinical discipline
- Excellent communication skills and strong interpersonal skills
Please submit cover letter, resume, and contact information for three professional references at www.ksu.edu/jobs #509500.