Experience Less Than 1 Year
Qualifications Graduate (CVT, RVT, LVT)
Role type Full-time
The Veterinary Technician supports the doctors in providing high quality patient care and excellent client service. More specifically, the Veterinary Technician is responsible for obtaining baseline medical information, performing routine procedures, and assisting with surgery.
This is a full time position; scheduled days and hours may vary based on hospital needs. Overtime and weekend work is possible. This position requires standing for long periods of time and some heavy lifting may be involved. This position reports to the Hospital Manager and MDVM.
Pay: $15-$20 per hour*
*Starting pay will vary based on relevant education and experience.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Client Service:
- Maintains a professional and calm demeanor with all clients.
- Acts as an intermediary between the doctor and the client, responsible for tasks such as client follow-up phone calls after a visit or surgery.
- Clearly and accurately explains all services, procedures, and treatments.
- Recommends routine treatments and educates the client appropriately.
- Provides the client with all appropriate educational materials.
- Updates patient files accurately and in a timely fashion to allow for an efficient client check-out process.
- Patient Care:
- Demonstrates and utilizes proper restraining techniques.
- Reads and accurately interprets the patient chart.
- Obtains and records baseline medication information.
- Completes routine procedures such as nail trims, ear cleaning, and anal gland expression.
- Utilizes the hospital computer system to enter appropriate products and services from the treatment sheet (using AviMark)
- Administers various medications as prescribed by a DVM, including both oral and injectable drugs
- Prepares patient for surgery, including aseptic technique and monitoring equipment.
- Monitors patient during anesthesia and recovery, and updates surgical log
- Maintains equipment and surgical packs (cleanliness, contents, and sterility).
- Laboratory and Diagnostics:
- Collects appropriate blood samples and cytology samples
- Collects samples for fecal analysis and urinalysis.
- Accurately completes and submits all laboratory samples and paperwork.
- Properly obtains and processes radiographs utilizing the correct protective garments, labeling, positioning, and exposure.
- Routine procedures including
- Baseline medical data: weight, temperature, heart rate, etc.
- Nail trims
- Ear cleaning
- Anal gland expressions
- Prophylactic dental care, including recognition of teeth abnormalities
- Diagnostic testing, including blood testing and cytology sampling
- Hospital medications, protocols, and general medical recommendations
- Utilization and maintenance of anesthesia and hospital equipment.
- English language
Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent client service and interpersonal skills
- Patient restraint techniques
- Reading and interpreting patient charts and treatment sheets
- Administering injections and catheter insertion
- Basic computer skills (Microsoft Office, E-mail, and AVImark experience preferred)
- Flexible and willing to learn
- Shows strong attention to detail
- Works well in team environment
- Self-starter and able to work with minimal supervision
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum 1 year prior veterinary experience highly preferred
- CVT or RVT certification (preferred but not required)
- Competitive pay
- Generous personal pet discounts on veterinary care and boarding
- Paid time off
- Medical, Dental, and Vision health insurance
- 401k/Retirement Plan