Practice Small Animal
Qualifications Graduate (CVT, RVT, LVT)
University Veterinary Hospital & Diagnostic Center is seeking an experienced veterinary technician or technician assistant. Candidates should be highly skilled, have a strong blend of technical and client service passion and skills, and have prior experience. UVHDC is an award winning, AAHA accredited, 6 doctor, state-of-the-art practice providing exemplary care and customer service in a very team-oriented environment. We’re located in Salt Lake City’s wonderful 9th & 9th neighborhood, just minutes from downtown. www.uvhdc.com
4 Day Work Week – Quarterly Bonus – Medical/Dental Benefits – 401(k)
We are dedicated to providing competitive pay, based on experience.
- Dental Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Discount
- Flexible Spending Account
- Health Insurance
- Paid Time Off
- Vision Insurance
Must be proficient in Blood Draw, Restraining, TPS, Medical History, Filling Medications.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined below, the Veterinary Technician is an invaluable member of the hospital team who works directly with the Veterinarian and supporting medical staff to ensure quality veterinary care at all times.
- Assists the veterinarian during examination of animals, providing restraint as needed in order to work safely and effectively.
- Prepares and administer medications, vaccines, serums, and treatments, as prescribed by the veterinarian.
- Performs routine dental cleanings on animals under the direction of the veterinarian.
- Administers anesthesia to animals under the direction of the veterinarian and monitors animals’ responses to anesthetics so that dosages can be adjusted.
- Obtains radiographs of animals with knowledge of proper positioning and techniques.
- Cares for and monitors the condition of animals recovering from surgery.
- Performs laboratory tests on blood, urine, and feces, such as urinalyses and blood counts, to assist in the diagnosis and treatment of animal health problems.
- Administers emergency first aid, such as performing emergency resuscitation or other life-saving procedures.
- Collects, prepares, and labels samples for laboratory testing, culture, or microscopic examination.
- Cleans and sterilizes instruments, equipment, and materials.
- Provides the veterinarian with the correct equipment and instruments, as needed.
- Fills prescriptions, measuring medications and labeling containers.
- Prepares animals for surgery, performing such tasks as shaving surgical areas and placing IV catheters.
- Maintains clean examination rooms and treatment areas.
- Works collaboratively with veterinarians to ensure that all animals are being cared for properly and moving through the system efficiently.
Skills and Basic Qualifications
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to work effectively and efficiently in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to effectively handle and control aggressive animals. (Fear Free certification preferred!)
- Must be able to handle the physical and emotional aspect of work in a veterinary clinic environment, including the use of euthanasia.
- Models a professional and courteous manner with staff and clients.
- Commitment to ongoing educational development and growth.
- Must have active listening, critical thinking, complex problem solving, time management, judgment and decision making skills.
- Candidate must be able to work during the hours of 7am-8pm.
Must be at least 18 years or older, and have reliable transportation. Equal Opportunity employer. Background and Drug Screen may apply.
- 10 Hour Shift (usually 4 days per week or 3 days per week)
- Monday to Saturday
- No Sundays
- No On call Shifts
Pay: based on experience
All services are curbside (with the exception of euthanasia)