Experience Less Than 1 Year
Practice Small Animal
Rocky Mountain Feline Rescue is seeking a Veterinary Technician Assistant to support our Animal Care tech team with daily needs. Training is offered for the right candidate with previous shelter background but limited medical experience.
The ideal candidate uses their knowledge and experience to help manage the complete care, treatment, and well being of the cats and kittens of the Rocky Mountain Feline Rescue (RMFR). This includes the daily basic care of, medical care and treatment of, and the mental and physical well being of, shelter housed animals. Work includes completing medication rounds, cleaning of isolation areas, and interacting with foster providers, adopters, and volunteers on a regular basis.
Additional work may include assisting with veterinary exams and intake exams, and assisting with clinic needs based on established protocols. The Veterinary Technician Assistant is required to carry out daily assignments, follow through on matters, and use independent judgment and training to take appropriate actions to deal with standard recurring situations.
Animal Care Veterinary Technician Assistant work requires knowledge and comfort working in the shelter and may require working in the clinic, depending on the needs of the Animal Care team.
In-shelter responsibilities include:
● Provides treatments per shelter protocol (oral, injectable, topical medications, fluids, vaccinations).
● Administers medication based on standing veterinary orders;
● Administers first-aid;
● Cleans medical isolation and related physical work according to PACFA standards;
● Maintains a clean, healthy environment for shelter cats;
● Completes, in full, all required medical paperwork and records;
● Assists in educating foster providers and adopters about medical conditions of the animals in their care and proper administration of medicine for extended medical cases;
● Maintains proper inventory levels of medical supplies.
Clinic responsibilities include:
● Practices safe low-stress restraint of cats;
● Assists administration of subcutaneous, intravenous, and intramuscular injections;
● Assistance in placement of intravenous catheter;
● Assistance in Intubation and aseptically preparing a patient for a sterile procedure;
● Assistance in extubation and recovery of post-anesthetic patients;
● Communicates positively and clearly with team members regarding patients and workflow.
● Assists in communication with potential adopters, donors, volunteers & the general public in a professional and courteous manner;
● Quickly uplifts public concerns and takes appropriate steps to prevent issues from reoccurring.
● Attends and actively participates in meetings with the Animal Care team;
● Enforces PACFA regulations at all times;
● Reports foster concerns to the Foster Coordinator in a timely manner to ensure timely and medically appropriate resolution of problems;
● Performs other duties as assigned;
● Regular and timely presence onsite.
● Able to follow policies and regulations within the Animal Care department;
● Uses problem-solving skills as needed in the Animal Care department;
● Willing to suggest new programs or improvements to existing programs to move forward RMFR’s mission.
Job Qualifications: Education/Experience: Minimum of high school degree or equivalent; Minimum of 1-year working in animal welfare related field preferred; Minimum of 1-year working as a Veterinary Assistant
Knowledge: Knowledge of animal breed, behavior, handling and care; Knowledge of shelter software a plus; Working knowledge of the Google Suite of applications; Fear Free Shelter qualified or willing to become certified
Skills: Willingness to work as a team, effectively act on the requests and feedback of others, delegate tasks, and give and receive constructive feedback; Effective verbal communication skills for in person, email, and telephone contact; Excellent customer service skills, particularly with a variety of client situations; Able to prioritize duties and perform multiple tasks; Able to work in a high-stress, fast-paced environment; Basic computer skills; Ability to learn, retain and communicate a wide variety of information; Comfortable working in groups and/or individually, with both people and cats; Able to make decisions using independent judgement; Detail orientation
Abilities: Able to work with animals; Able to work with disinfectants and cleaning supplies; Able to perform physical work including scrubbing, mopping, lifting, walking, and bending; Able to handle animals safely and effectively; Able to perform basic technical duties such as administering vaccinations and treatments, performing TPRs.
Work conditions: Work Environment: Work performed in animal shelter setting; Potential for exposure to zoonotic diseases and cleaning chemicals; Potential for exposure to dangerous and fractious animals; Potential exposure to high noise levels when in kennel area; Potential for animal bites and scratches while handling animals
Physical Activities: Typical positions require workers to walk or stand for long periods; lift and carry up to 30 pounds; climb stairs, bend, reach, hold, grasp and turn objects; and use fingers to operate computer or typewriter keyboards. The work requires the ability to speak normally and to use normal or aided vision and hearing.
Unusual Demands: Work is subject to frequent interruptions. Employee is subject to work weekends, holidays and beyond the normal scheduled hours of work. Employee is subject to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.