Experience Less Than 1 Year
Qualifications Graduate (CVT, RVT, LVT)
Are you compassionate about animals and have a desire to speak for those who cannot? For over 100 years, the Dumb Friends League has been working to end pet homelessness and animal suffering by providing a strong and steadfast voice for those who cannot speak for themselves. As the largest community-based animal welfare organization in the region, we care for more than 20,000 homeless pets and horses each year at our four facilities and are a national model in animal welfare. If you work well with people too, join our team and help us provide that voice.
The Veterinary Technician position has a high level of responsibility and impact on the Dumb Friends League. This individual will utilize their technical abilities to create and assist in outcomes for animals at the shelter and beyond. Veterinary technicians collaborate with all other departments within the League to provide animal handling and treatment, along with training and leadership.
The candidate selected for this role will be a certified veterinary technician or have relevant proven experience in surgery and emergency medicine. The ideal candidate will have exceptional customer service experience, proven ability to be a team player and ability to independently problem solve.
Purpose of Position: Provide medical care and treatment for shelter animals. Provide medical care and treatment of both shelter and owned animals during all parts of surgery.
- Efficiently lead high volume surgery day focused on spay/neuter procedures.
- Collect samples for testing and perform laboratory tests.
- Medicate, vaccinate, and treat animals as prescribed by veterinarian.
- Administer anesthesia and monitor animals under anesthesia.
- Assure successful recovery of animals post-surgery
- Assist veterinarians in medical and surgical procedures. This includes using proper restraint.
- Use and maintain medical equipment.
- Perform physical examination of animals.
- Perform accurate data entry to update animal records and controlled drug logs.
- Clean and maintain work areas.
- Handle and move animals prior to and following medical procedures.
- Perform euthanasia and other related tasks.
- Contribute to and lead initiatives to improve processes and procedures.
- Oversee medical supply inventory process and provide accurate counts as well as data weekly.
- Participate in other shelter daily tasks as needed and assigned by supervisor.
People are the key to fulfilling our mission. Making internal and external patrons and their needs a primary focus is expected in all situations. This position interacts with and collaborates with employees at all levels of the organization. Communication occurs through face to face, telephone, and electronic interactions and may also include contact with the general public and League business partners. Communication and contact must be clear, understandable, cooperative, professional and respectful in all circumstances. Employees are expected to actively support a positive team environment, directly address conflict, and appropriately express concerns.
Competencies are work behaviors and expectations necessary for successful job performance. They encompass knowledge, skills, abilities, attitudes, and actions. Additional definitions for competencies may be obtained from Human Resources
Organizational Key Competencies – Integrity and ethics, adapting to change and ambiguity, customer and community focus, emotional intelligence, excellence.
Position Key Competencies – Accountability, teamwork, attention to detail, initiative, time management, decision making.
Supervisory or Managerial Responsibility – Department volunteers
Travel – This position may require travel to different work sites
Full Time Benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, flexible spending accounts, League-paid Life and Short-Term Disability Insurance, Paid Time Off (PTO), Holiday Pay, Sabbatical, 401(k) with matching, CVTs are eligible for student loan reimbursement, CE, relocation assistance and more! Please visit our website for a comprehensive list of all offered benefits.
Compensation: Starting at $21.60 – $23.60 per hour (uncertified); $22.50 – $24.65 per hour (certified/registered veterinary technicians); (starting pay commensurate with market, experience, and equity)
- High level of skill, knowledge, and proficiency with high volume spay/neuter surgeries.
- Working knowledge of current veterinary practices.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as independently
- High attention to detail
- Associate degree in veterinary technology or equivalent experience
- Completion of a veterinary technician internship or comparable experience
- Certified veterinary technician
- Experience in an animal welfare environment
Other jobs you may like
- @ Coronado Veterinary Hospital
- Sierra Vista, arizona
- @ meridianah
- Parker, colorado
Veterinary Technician CVT/RVT
- @ Humane Society of Boulder Valley
- Boulder, colorado
- @ CityVet – Thornton
- Thornton, colorado
Part-Time Veterinary Technician
- @ Left Hand Animal Hospital
- Niwot, colorado